Partial Birth Abortion Defined
An abortion in which the person performing the abortion partially delivers a living baby before killing it and completing the delivery.
How Partial Birth Abortion is Performed
• Guided by ultrasound, the abortionist grabs the baby's legs with forceps and twists or inverts the baby's original position in order that the baby can now be "delivered" feet first instead of head first.
• Baby's leg is pulled out into the birth canal.
• Abortionist delivers the baby's entire body, except for the head.
• Abortionist jams scissors into the baby's skull.
• Scissors are then opened to enlarge the hole.
• Scissors are removed and a suction catheter is inserted.
• CHILD'S BRAINS ARE SUCKED OUT, causing the skull to collapse.
• Dead baby is then removed.
• "It's a procedure where the child coming down the birth canal is actually turned by the doctor so the child is no longer coming down headfirst, but rather feet-first. The reason is, if the the doctor did what he or she did with the child's head exposed, it would be murder in every single one of the jurisdictions in the United States". — Dan Lungren, Attorney General of California, 1996.
When Partial Birth Abortion is Performed
• On babies 20 weeks to 4 ½ months after conception, primarily in the second trimester although sometimes in the third trimester, even to full term (40 weeks).
• Mainly on the healthy babies of healthy mothers, NOT (as often claimed by pro-abortion groups) exclusively on "doomed" or already dead babies.
• Now a matter of public record that this type of abortion is performed at least several thousand times per year in the United States.
Partial Birth Abortion Lies Exposed
• Ron Fitzsimmons, the executive director of the National Coalition of Abortion Providers, admitted in The New York Times Feb. 26, 1997 that he "lied through my teeth" on Nightline when he said, "the procedure was used rarely and only on women whose lives were in danger or whose fetuses were damaged." According to The New York Times, Fitzsimmons admits the procedure is performed far more often than his colleagues have acknowledged and on healthy women bearing healthy babies.
• Marianne Lombardi, in a NET Television commentary said, ".....infertility is not an issue in bringing a severely deformed child to term; rather the opposite is true - having a third-trimester abortion can severely impact fertility and may even cause death to the mother." — Washington Times
• "There are absolutely no obstetrical situations encountered in this country which require a partially delivered human fetus to be destroyed to preserve the life of the mother." — Pamela Smith, Director of the Medical Education Department of Ob-Gyn at Mount Saini Hospital in Chicago.
Just a few quotes
• The American Medical Association has disavowed this barbaric and torturous form of death for babies.
• A recent poll showed that two-thirds of Americans are against this procedure.
• The late Daniel Patrick Moynihan has correctly called this procedure "infanticide."
• ... partial birth abortion is evidence of "the brutalization of our culture" and "obviously causes extreme pain to the baby." "Two doctors who perform partial birth abortion stated that the majority of fetuses aborted in this fashion are ALIVE until the end of the procedure." - Inconvenient Lives by Justice Robert H. Bork
• Congress had twice passed bills banning this procedure, only to have them vetoed each time by President Clinton (dubbed by congress as "The Abortion President") even though he acknowledged that the procedure "seems inhumane."
• "It is so gruesome that its use can be traumatic even for the physicians and medical staff who perform it ... partial birth abortion so closely borders on infanticide that 30 States have attempted to ban it." — Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas (dissenting opinion)
• "This method of killing a human child ... is so horrible that the most clinical description of it evokes a shudder of revulsion." — Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia (dissenting opinion)
Why Partial Birth Abortion Persists
"Partial-birth abortion produces an almost entirely intact corpse — and there's a market for such a gruesome commodity. The sickening truth is, there's a growing demand for babies' body parts in this country — among medical researchers, educational institutions, and others.
In fact, the middlemen who "harvest" dead babies from abortionists and sell them to various customers make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year plying their unsavory trade!
Furthermore, the older the pre-born baby is, the more money can be demanded for the "body parts" market. This makes PARTIAL-BIRTH Abortion ... the body trafficker's FAVORITE method for killing babies."